- Breathing & Support - learn to sing longer phrases & manage your breathing using abdominal muscles and airflow correctly
- Placing & Projection - develop a richer, stronger quality of tone, maximising natural resonance and reach "the back of the room"
- Range Development - sing top/bottom notes comfortably. Maintain and expand your vocal range and explore new possibilities
- Vocal Problems - address voice-loss, hoarseness, nodules, fatigue and learn to manage & prevent voice problems from developing.
- Harmonising - learn to pick out 2-4 part harmonies and how to blend effectively with other voices - handy for backing vocals and session studio work
Sessions also include:
- Choosing Repertoire - with a wide knowledge of Opera, Art Song, Choral music, Musical Theatre, Pop/Jazz/Gospel/Rn'B, Rock/Country & Folk, Maria can guide you to the songs that your voice and personal taste is most suited to.
- Phrasing, Interpretation & Personal Style - equally familiar with classical techniques, belting & mixing for Musical Theatre and Popular Music, Maria will help you make each song "your own" in keeping with each genre's particular style.
- Performance Issues - address & overcome stage fright, develop audience rapport, work on posture/body language and microphone technique.
- Audition & Exam Preparation - prepare repertoire and performance successfully for the West End, choirs, music college, ABRSM/Trinity grades & Diplomas
- Musicianship - become musically confident by understanding chord structures and notated music
WHAT HAPPENS IN THE LESSONS?
Each lesson is a mix of vocal exercises - tailored to each individual singer's technical development needs - and applying the technical learnings by working on songs. The song selection will depend on the singer's preference of style but the aim is always to improve the quality of the voice and the delivery.
If you are also looking to develop your musicianship or if you are preparing for a grade or diploma, your lesson will also include an element of music theory. If you are already performing or auditioning for work, you may want to focus mainly on the performance side of your songs - you are more than welcome to.
VOICE PROBLEMS - HELP IS AT HAND
Vocal difficulties e.g. hoarseness, vocal fatigue, difficulty with tone control and pitch, range diminishing etc. either from trauma and over-use, unsound vocal technique or from bad habits developing gradally over time, can cause a great deal of concern.
The ageing process of the voice can also be difficult to deal with. Maria has worked alongside Speech & Language Therapists for many years and can diagnose and judge the cause and extent of your problems.
Following an assessment, she can suggest a number of exercises suited to your individual issues and will advise you on preventative measures putting you on the path to vocal recovery and improvement.