- Breathing & Support - learn to manage your breathing when you sing, using abdominal muscles, diaphragm and airflow correctly for best vocal onset
- Quality of Tone, Placing & Projection - minimise tension & develop a natural, rich vocal quality maximising natural resonance and reaching "the back of the room"
- Range Development - sing top/bottom notes comfortably. Maintain and expand your vocal range, agility and explore new possibilities
- Vocal Problems - address voice-loss, hoarseness, nodules, fatigue and learn to manage & prevent voice problems from developing.
- Harmonising - learn to blend effectively with other voices in choirs, BVs for bands, sessions and close harmony groups
Sessions also include:
- Repertoire Selection - with a wide knowledge of Opera, Art Song, Choral music, Musical Theatre, Pop/Jazz/Gospel/Rn'B, Rock/Country & Folk, I can guide you to the songs that your voice and personal taste is most suited to.
- Phrasing, Interpretation & Personal Style - equally familiar with classical techniques, belting & mixing for Musical Theatre and CCM/Popular Music, I will help you make each song "your own" and in keeping with each genre's particular style.
- Performance Skills - address & overcome stage fright, build audience communication, work on posture/body language and microphone technique.
- Audition & Exam Preparation - prepare repertoire and performance successfully for the West End, choral auditions, music college, ABRSM/Trinity grades & Diplomas
- Musicianship - become musically confident by understanding music theory e.g. chord structures and notated music, learn sight-reading etc.
WHAT HAPPENS IN THE LESSONS?
After an initial assessment lesson where I listen to your voice to establish a technical development path, we discuss your aims and concerns and set goals together. Subsequent sessions are a mix of vocal exercises - specifically tailored to your technical development needs and learninga are then applied when we work on songs. The song selection will depend on the singer's preference of style but the aim is always to improve the quality of the voice and delivery.
If you are also looking to develop your musicianship and especially if you are preparing for a grade or diploma, your lesson will also include an element of music theory.
Generally, working with songs also involves understanding all elements of it; a character's motivations and intentions in an aria or musical theatre piece, the origin or context of a piece and it's creator and the emotion you want to convey. We will also ensure words in other languages are correctly pronounced and texts are completely understood - this understanding combined with increased technical ability will make your singing truly impactful and so much more enjoyable for you.
If you are already performing or auditioning for work, you may want to focus mainly on the performance side of your songs alone - you are more than welcome to.
VOICE PROBLEMS - HELP IS AT HAND
Vocal difficulties e.g. hoarseness, vocal fatigue, difficulty with tone control and pitch, range diminishing etc. either from trauma and over-use, unsound vocal technique or from bad habits developing gradally over time, can cause a great deal of concern.
The ageing process of the voice can also cause confidence issues. As a member of BVA (British Voice Association) I have a good understanding of how Speech & Language Therapists work, and can diagnose and judge the cause and extent of your problems.
Following an assessment, I can suggest a number of exercises suited to your individual issues and will advise you on preventative measures putting you on the path to vocal recovery and improvement. I can also refer you to other specialists if necessary.
COSTS & TIMES
In Person Sessions: £45 per 60 minutes Tuesday - Friday 9am - 6pm & Saturday 10am - 3pm
Virtual Sessions: £40 per 60 minutes Tuesday - Friday 9am - 6pm & Saturday 10am - 3pm
In-Person sessions are held 15 minutes from Forest Hill Station, served by London Overground from Canada Water (Jubilee interchange), Whitechapel (Circle & District & Elizabth Line) and direct BR services from London Bridge. Journey time from Canada Water & Lond Bridge is approximatly 15 minutes.